Thursday, September 3, 2009

Seattle --> Utah

I love Seattle. I love the people there. I love the culture. I love the landscape. I love what I've learned there. I will miss living there so much. It doesn't seem real that I moved to Utah. It just feels like I'm visiting and will soon have to catch my flight back to Seattle.

It was hard to leave. Tears were shed and penguins were given. The drive back was bitter sweet. Deep down, I feel this decision to up root my life (leave my job, my school, my roommates, my calling, my Imri, etc) and move back to Utah for now is alright.

It will be interesting to see how I acclimate into my old social circles. I'm different now. I've grown. I've learned. I'm definitely over Provo/Utah male dominate culture where just because you're a single male Mormon I should try to impress you, and try to fit into your little "perfect Mormon girl" mold. ugh. give me a brake.

Oh and Utah culture is a touch shallow. I just want to care about humans, not image.

5 comments:

kate said...

I know you're going through a tough transition so I will save my rebuttals to those statements for later and just say that I'm happy you're here and happy to be your consolation prize

Mardi and Jeremey said...

I hope I will get to see you sometime. I would hate to leave gorgeous Seattle for boring Provo, but hopefully you will find the better things about it. It has really grown on me. But I don't deal too much with the Utah college culture.

Cassie said...

Julie, me and penguins are always waiting for you to come back. But for now, just live in Provo...have long legs, talk to people about politics and environmental issues...and then move back to seattle! Meow.

Maren said...

Hi it's Maren (you know - Liz's sister...) I swear I saw you at the UofU (I work there), but thought you lived out of state. Was that you? Welcome back!

The Danimal said...

Danny likes this.