Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My favorite author

I have re-fallen in love c.s. Lewis. Lately I've been thinking about a lot of stuff and when I was reading Mere Christianity (again) it was just what I needed to hear/read. And yes I'm going to put in a little excerpt (warning- things are about to get serious)-
"That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods 'where they get off', you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of faith...That is why daily prayers and religious reading and church going are necessary parts of the Christian life. We have to be continually reminded of what we believe. Neither this belief nor any other will automatically remain alive in the mind. it must be fed."

"Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is...that is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. The have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it."




No comments: